Through Distance Education Intensive Language (DEIL), we offer non-NMSU students the opportunity to enroll at an approved Spanish language institute and earn NMSU graded credit as a guest matriculant (non-degree seeking student). You will receive instruction from the approved language institute abroad, and complete online assignments and exams via CANVAS, NMSU’s online learning management platform, to earn NMSU graded credit for the courses you are enrolled in.
All applicants must be 18 years old at the time of travel, and have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent to be admitted as guest matriculant at NMSU. No retroactive credit will be awarded for programs completed at one of the approved institutes prior to submitting a DEIL application.
Contact Education Abroad Advisor, Marcela Monger (firstname.lastname@example.org) to submit an application. DEIL Application Deadlines are as follows:
- Winter Break & Spring
- Summer & Fall
Approved programs abroad are available at the following language institutes:
- Centro Panamericano de Idiomas – CPI
- Academia Latinoamericana de Español
- True Spanish Experience – TSE
- Virtual Programs available!
The student is responsible for applying to the program of their choice directly and pay all program fees to the provider. All fees must be paid in full in order to receive an NMSU transcript.
- Education Abroad Program Placement Fee: $350 (Paid at the time of application)
- NMSU tuition: $85/credit (Billed to NMSU student account upon course registration)
- Insurance: $50.85/month (Applicable for all in-person programs, billed to NMSU student account)
Intensive Language Institute Fees
- Direct Program Tuition: Varies per Intensive language program (Paid directly to the program provider)
- Housing: Varies per intensive language program (Paid directly to the program provider)
Contact Professor Jeff Longwell (email@example.com) to discus the language credit that you would like to earn at your selected program. NMSU graded credit is offered for the following Spanish language courses:
- SPAN 1110 Elementary Spanish I – 4 Credits
Prerequisite: language placement and/or assessment by departmental examination.
- SPAN 1120 Elementary Spanish II – 4 Credits
Prerequisite: language placement and/or assessment by departmental examination or a C or better in SPAN 111.
- SPAN 2110 Intermediate Spanish I – 3 Credits
Prerequisite: language placement and assessment by departmental examination or C or better in SPAN 112.
- SPAN 2120 Intermediate Spanish II – 3 Credits
Prerequisite: language placement and assessment by departmental examination or C or better in SPAN 211.
- SPAN 305 Topics in Hispanic Civilization – 3 Credits
Prerequisite: SPAN 212 or SPAN 214 or consent of instructor. May be repeated for a maximum of 6 credits.
- SPAN 325 Advanced Conversation – 3 Credits
Prerequisite(s): SPAN 212 or consent of instructor.
- SPAN 590 Advanced Special Topics (Graduate level) – 3 Credits
May be repeated for a maximum of 6 credits.