You’re back from abroad, but your international experience doesn’t have to end here. With proper planning, you can pursue another international opportunity.


Study Abroad Again

It is common for students to study abroad multiple times in order to deepen their international experiences. You may consider yourself an experienced study abroad veteran at this point, but there is still much to be done to prepare for your next program. According to the Institute of International Education Open Doors Reports, over half of U.S. university students who study abroad do so in the United Kingdom, Western Europe, or Australia. Consider studying in a non-traditional location in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Central America, or South America this time around.

NMSU Honors College Office of National Scholarships & International Education

The NMSU Honors College’s Office of National Scholarships and International Education (ONSIE) provides support to students who are interested in scholarship opportunities, such as the Fulbright U.S. Student Program and the Boren Award, which fund them to live, work, and learn abroad. ONSIE also sponsors the yearly Honors College International Scholarship (HCIS) competition. This opportunity is open to all NMSU students with a 3.5 GPA and funds a summer of independent research outside the United States.
Boren Award
Boren Scholarships and Fellowships funds undergraduate (Boren Scholarship) and graduate (Boren Fellowship) immersive language study. The focus is on studying less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. national-security interests, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Boren undergraduate awards can be for a semester, a year, and for STEM students only, an 8-11-week summer program. Boren graduate awards can combine domestic language study with international immersion. Boren Scholars and Fellows commit to one year of work with the federal government sometime after their time abroad ends.
Fulbright U.S. Student Program
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is the largest U.S. exchange program offering opportunities for students and young professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and primary and secondary school teaching worldwide. The program currently awards approximately 1,900 grants annually in all fields of study, and operates in more than 140 countries worldwide. Competitiveness varies by world region (e.g., the UK is among the most competitive of regions). There are several types of Fellowships, each typically for one year of study abroad:
  1. Fulbright Study/Research Grants: The traditional award opportunity where a candidate designs a proposal for a specific country.
  2. Arts: Practical training in the creative and performing arts (limited to qualifying fields of study).
  3. English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Programs: Fellowships to teach English in a foreign country. Must be a native English speaker; prior teaching experience is highly desirable.
  4. Other Fulbright Fellowships: Fulbright National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship, Fulbright-Clinton Fellowships, Fulbright-mtvU awards, Fulbright Travel Awards, Critical Language Enhancement Award, etc.

Peace Corps

“The Peace Corps is a service opportunity for motivated changemakers to immerse themselves in a community abroad, working side by side with local leaders to tackle the most pressing challenges of our generation.” The Peace Corps is open to any U.S. Citizen with an undergraduate degree that wishes to volunteer for 2 years in one of 60 countries abroad. Please visit the Peace Corps website to learn more.

Teach English Abroad

Teaching English as a Foreign language is a popular choice with recent U.S. undergraduate students. It is a chance to experience life in another country while making a bit of money. Teaching assignments can come from a variety of places; government-run programs, foreign universities, and private language schools.

Graduate Programs Abroad

U.S. students can attend graduate programs at institutions all over the world. Most students apply and enroll directly through foreign universities. Students should be prepared to navigate the application and admission process independently or possibly with the help of the host university's admission and/or international office. You may be able to use federal student aid to pay for your expenses. Find out which international schools participate in the federal student aid programs and review the process of getting federal aid to make a dent in that tuition bill. The Federal Student Aid website provides more information about federal student aid for study at an international school or university.