Same Great Departments Under a New Umbrella!
In need of a one-stop-shop for all your experiential learning needs? The Office of Experiential Learning is the all-in-one department that lets you explore the learning by doing opportunities to enhance your education and jump-start your career aspirations.
Experiential Learning Definition
Experiential learning integrates cognitive and behavioral learning theories as an applied approach to “learning by doing” that enables learners to gain experience in the application of learning concepts.
“In its simplest form, experiential learning means learning from experience or learning by doing. Experiential education first immerses learners in an experience and then encourages reflection about the experience to develop new skills, new attitudes, or new ways of thinking”
NMSU’s strategic plan is committed to experiential learning by:
- Developing robust experiential learning, service-learning, and research experiences that engage students and contribute to the development of essential skills
- Enhancing system-wide internship, co-op, and externship opportunities to meet employment and workforce needs
- Developing a strategic relationship with New Mexico Workforce Solutions to expand student awareness of New Mexico employment opportunities
- Fostering awareness of post-graduate opportunities for career advancement
The Office of Experiential Learning (OEL) highly encourages you to explore experiential learning during your time at NMSU. We continuously research best practices and emerging trends to coach you through your experiential learning journey.
Benefits of incorporating Experiential Learning in your college journey include:
- Gaining a better perspective on your educational plan
- Expanding career readiness as defined by NACE
- Learning from professional work environments
- Making better decisions for your career path
Experiential learning may include:
- Student Teaching
- Job Shadowing
- Capstone Courses
NMSU offers experiential learning through various programs:
Interested in learning more about experiential learning? Request an appointment with the co-op/internship coordinator via your Handshake account. To schedule an appointment, log in to your Handshake profile through your myNMSU account, then follow this path: Career Center > Appointments > Schedule a New Appointment > Co-op / Internship Advising.
Join us on social media to participate in the conversation on experiential learning.